I don't normally do music recommendations on my blog but, I had to make an exception this time. I have been listening to some recent Malayalam releases in the movie industry and I loved what I heard. Some of these latest numbers took me back to that golden era of Malayalam music we had during the 80-90s.
So, here you go.
1. Hemanthamen from Kohinoor - Rahul Raj's non-linear melodic composition sung by Vijay Yesudas in his mellifluous voice is one that I have been listening to over and over for the last few days. This one has got what it takes to be called 'Malayalathanimayulla Paattu' a.k.a. quintessential Malayalam song.
2. Kanal Album - Ouseppachan made a beautiful album this time as well. Maya Nagarame in Shubhapanthuvaraali raagam by Sharreth and Magar Tum by Ustad Fayaz Khan are my picks. Neha Nair did a decent job in Pathukke Entho, probably after Neeyo in 22 Female Kottayam. Magar Tum's first two lines is a direct lift from 'Oru Poovine Nilashalabham' though.
3. Kaliyachan Album - Bijibal scores this melody in one of my favorites, Karna Ranjani raaga called Harinakshi. Do listen to all the songs in this bite-sized album. This would also fit into the quintessential Malayalam category.
4. Ennu Ninte Moideen Album - Mukkathe Pennu tops the list as it captures the essence of the movie, story, and emotions. Gopi Sundar did manage to hit the sweet spot this time. Priyamullavane by Madhuvanti is another lovely melody that starts off in Kaapi raaga and later progresses to another non-linear melody in charanam.
5. Swapaanam Album - This is not a recent one but, probably goes into the Evergreen Malayalam category. Sreevalsan J Menon is a musical genius and I have always loved his compositions and singing. Similar to Kaliyachan, this album is also more of a textbook for students of Carnatic classical music as all the songs are raaga-based.
Well, that's all for now. I will probably consider doing more recommendations as and when I come across something that positively strikes a chord.
If you find value in this blog post, please sign up below to receive similar recommendations, useful tips, and ideas directly to your inbox for FREE: